Sunday, February 26, 2012

I wanna be like Mike.....

We love Mike, and we were so excited when his wife called last minute and said,"Mike needs to come or he'll go insane!!" So we booked him for the next week and now we get to enjoy him for 2 weeks!!
Mike and his wife Colleen came over 2 years ago for 4 weeks, and we thoroughly enjoyed them. They were hard workers, and just a delight to be around. I don't remember their weight loss, but Mike told me he wanted to thank us, because after that stay, he went to his High School reunion, and looked and felt GREAT!!!
We saw them both again the next year for two weeks, and now this time Mike came for two weeks. Mike started out strong the first day, and at circut/run class, when he was sprinting the first couple laps, I thought for sure he's going to slow down....I was wrong. I know he has had a great weight loss this week, because I can see it already, but we'll weigh him out next week and let you know his amazing results!
I had the opportunity to hike with him on Observation Point in Zion National Park. Here's something interesting about Mike, he doesn't like heights, and he doesn't necessarily like hiking (hahaha, we are a hiking spa:)). So as we are hiking up, Mike tells me the hikes he doesn't want to do (I think he thinks since he's a return guest he will get a say:)) the one hike with all the sand:)(we live in a desert).......oh and that one hike with all the scrambling Hell Canyon (that's a summer hike anyway), oh and he doesn't want to do the saddle (a favorite of most people):).....but we love Mike and we have MANY fun hikes, so it's not a problem.....then he is quiet for a while, and then he says, "Oh that's why I come...I come for the food.":) :) As we are hiking, Mike stays real close to the wall, and I comment and say, "Doesn't this beauty amaze you, don't you love this?" He says, "no not really".......when we get 2 miles from the top, I got a little nervous, because he was really feeling it, and looked as though he was ready to turn around. I really wanted to get him to the top, and I couldn't say, "The view at the top is amazing, and so worth it!!" But he kept going, and we made it to the top, he had no desire to look at the view, no desire to take his picture at the top, but I convinced him to get at least one!
Mike is a smart guy, he works hard, he has an amazing family, and sometimes he just doesn't take the time he needs for himself. Mike finds rejuvination here in our mountains even though he said at 30 years old he never would have thought he would be hiking like this at 50. But even Mike can not escape the fact that our mountains have power, they have healing, and they can bring a person the peace that they are looking for, and he will go home and feel ready to face the challenges that he has day to day, and next time Mike you better bring Colleen!:)

2 comments:

  1. opps...I scheduled Saddle for this week!!! I guess he'll have to bribe me to take it off and replace it with what he likes!! Love you Mike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mike....you da man!! Miss you and Colleen. Hopefully we can see you both this summer. :)
    Melanie McElroy

    ReplyDelete

visit us also at www.desertcliffs.com