Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Healthy and low calorie Shepherd's Pie

I used a normal recipe and tried some different things to make it healthier, and it turned out delicious!!

1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
4 stalks of celery chopped
4 carrots chopped
4 potatoes boiled
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
can of chicken broth (low sodium)
a squirt or two of ketchup
fresh thyme chopped up (I used dried)

Brown your turkey, add thyme, and then add onions, pepper, celery, and carrots let cook for a while and then add your chicken broth, bring to a boil. Then add 2 TBS of flour, mix it in really well to help thicken, then add worchestershire sauce and 2 squirts of ketchup to taste. Let simmer while you mash your potatoes with a dash of dill, and two squirts of dijon mustard.

In a 9x13 dish add your turkey mixture, and then on top add the potatoes. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.

My kids loved this. It was really tasty, and hard to not eat a lot, but fortunately, my family cleaned up the dish, so I really only got my fist full serving. Make sure you serve it up with a big green salad and portion yours on your plate, so you don't go back for seconds.

This is just a recipe I serve at home, I am not a chef, and I am not a dietician, but I want to share with you the ways I try to eat healthier with my family. Tonight my kids want me to make oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips (ugh!) But I will only use half of the chips, half the sugar, and I replace the oil with applesauce. You can also use an egg substitute if you like for the eggs.

Come visit our resort and receive many cooking lessons with our wonderful chef who makes the most amazing, low calorie, but filling meals and she will give us all cooking tips to help take home as we all try to continue on our lifestyle of healthy living!!!
Thanks a bunch,
Leanne Kemp

Post us a comment and share with us ways that you cook healthier at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

visit us also at www.desertcliffs.com